Monday, March 12, 2012

DIY Name Art

Does anyone have a better idea of what to call these?  Decorative letters...name letters...name art?  Either way, I knew I wanted to display Carson's name somehow in his nursery.  I thought about doing a vinyl wall decal, but I couldn't find one that I liked enough.  I really like the idea of hanging letters from ribbon, but I think it's a little girly for Carson's nursery.

I decided to buy some wooden letters and go from there.  I found these cute MDF letters at Michael's and went during their MLK Day sale so I got all of the letters for only $7.50! 

Here are the supplies you'll need for this craft:
-wooden letters spelling out the name/word of your choice
-craft paint
-sponge brush & small artist's brush
-scrapbook paper (1 page covered all of my letters)
-Mod Podge
-scissors, pencil

Total Cost for MY project: $8.50  (I already had a lot of the supplies and I got my letters on sale)

The first step is to trace your letters on the back of your scrapbook paper.  Make sure the letters are upside down so that the patterned part of your paper will fit onto the FRONT of your letter!
Sorry for the super dark picture.....
Using your scissors, carefully cut out each letter.  I left the center holes for last......

Notice the 'N'?  I had to re-do that because I didn't noticed I had placed it on the border of the paper....oops!

Next you'll want to carefully cut out those center holes.  An X-acto knife would be nice, but I just used my pencil to poke through and worked carefully.  Using a sponge brush, apply a layer of Mod Podge to your wooden letters and place your paper on top.  Next, carefully apply another layer of Mod Podge over top of your paper.  be careful to go slow so that your paper doesn't ripple!

Next, using your craft paint and small artist's brush, carefully paint the edges of your letters.  You could do this first, but I was anxious to get the paper on to make sure I liked it!

Here is the finished product!  I had planned on putting his name on a floating shelf, but I couldn't find a shelf the right size.  I have a new idea and will post about it VERY soon (as long as it turns out)!



2 comments:

Katie said...

What a great idea! Love how it turned out!

Blogger said...

YoBit lets you to claim FREE COINS from over 100 unique crypto-currencies, you complete a captcha once and claim as many as coins you can from the available offers.

After you make about 20-30 claims, you complete the captcha and resume claiming.

You can click CLAIM as many times as 30 times per one captcha.

The coins will safe in your account, and you can convert them to Bitcoins or USD.